Sunday, September 15, 2013

Blog Post #1 -- Teens In Y.A. Novels

How are Teens Represented in Y.A. Novels?

         The book I'm currently reading is called Crossed, by Ally Condie. This is the sequel to the book Matched, and in these two books, the main characters are Cassia and Ky. They are two teens/young-adults who have been separate by the Society, a sort of organization that creates rules and limits all creativity so that everyone is "equal" in this seemingly perfect world. In Crossed, Cassia and Ky both escape from Society and set out to find each other and gain more information about a rebelion they've heard about called the Rising. In this book, I realized that Cassia and Ky have endless faith and hope that they will be reunited. This is different from other books I have read, where teens and young-adults are being shown doing things like drinking in drugs in order to be accepted socially. In Crossed however, teens are being represented as brave, strong independent people fighting for their rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment